Everyone loved these. By everyone, I mean my my kids, one friend who was lucky enough that I shared, and myself.
I found the recipe on Pinterest, which is where I find a good portion of my recipes these days. It was linked to Six Sisters' Stuff for the recipe, which credited another site, which, in turn credited another. Good stuff travels fast!
I modified the recipe by using a chocolate coating instead of melted chocolate chips with shortening, I never like how the results of that end up.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles
Makes about 18 truffles.
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Pinch of salt (optional)
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
chocolate candy coating (Wilton Candy Melts or CandiQuik)
1. Put your pretzels into a resealable plastic bag and crush into tiny bits, a rolling pin is helpful, and it lets you take out some aggression ; )
2. In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and salt (if desired.) Stir until all of the ingredients are completely blended & smooth. Stir in the pretzel bits and mix thoroughly. Add the powdered sugar and mix until completely combined.
3. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Shape into a bite sized balls. Place the balls on the wax paper lined cookie sheet. One you have them all made, chill them in the refrigerator for at 30 minutes.
4. When ready to dip the truffles, microwave the chocolate coating according to directions, until completely melted and smooth.
5. Working one at a time, dip one peanut butter-pretzel ball into the melted chocolate and coat it completely using a fork to help cover it. Using the fork (and maybe a toothpick to help push it off of the fork, put it back on the wax paper lined sheet. Repeat with all of the peanut butter pretzel balls.
6. One the coating is set, garnish with a drizzle of melted peanut butter and crushed pretzels, if desired.
Enjoy! Try not to eat them all in one sitting, but I won't tell if you do.